[ExI] Space Elevator

Bryan Bishop kanzure at gmail.com
Wed Mar 26 23:27:15 UTC 2008

On Wednesday 26 March 2008, Jeff Davis wrote:
> >  >  ...different idea.  An inflated structure --
> >  > dome or tube or ramp-like thingie -- with the topmost part up
> > > there above the hundred mile mark.
>
>                                              <snip>
>
> >  I did the calculations for this scenario. Things are not
> > favorable. Have you thought about using water instead?
>
> I'm confused.  You're joshin'  me, right?  I like that.  I'll take
> one order of whimsy on wry.

Huh? I did the calculations and it looked like with inflation -- as in,
adding in gases -- you would get stratification and at some point the
dome would collapse because at that scale you have to calculate in
gravitational effects. And then you have to maintain the heat and so
on. Otherwise the gas will cool, especially at the upper parts of the
dome. Not good.

It may be interesting to make another structure following Buck Fuller's
work, maybe we can have a structure that can get enough support struts
down to the ground. Otherwise you get compressed cement or concrete and
you're back to the requirements of CNT as in the space elevator case.
So, water might work, maybe an inflatable foam, compressed in
high-density synthesis or something.

- Bryan