[ExI] nuclear fusion

Gary Miller aiguy at comcast.net
Thu Mar 27 00:02:38 UTC 2008

Amara said:

>> I was referring to Plutonium-238.

My Response:

As per Wikipedia... Plutonium 238 prepared by irradiating neptunium 237
which is created in nuclear reactors.

It is then recovered during the process of reprocessing nuclear fuel which
we are doing anyway!

According to Wikipedia each light water reactor is capable of producing 700
grams per 3 years.

We reprocess the fuels from these reactors anyway to recover the Uranium 235
(enriched to 3 percent) and Plutonium 239.

Each of our Nuclear submarines have one of these light water reactors (LWR).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Light_water_reactor

These must be reactors must each be refueled by 25% every 12 to 18 months.

As well as many commercial light-water reactors whose fuel must be
reprocessed on a regular basis.

So where is all the neptunium 237 going?

As valuable as it is I doubt the governments are throwing it away.

My guess is it may be being diverted during reprocessing for use in
classified DOD military satellites.

Also according to Wikipedia as of 2004 the government may be stockpiling it
in Nevada!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neptunium

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plutonium-238

Today, Plutonium 238 is usually prepared by the irradiation of neptunium
237, a minor actinide produced in nuclear reactors, that can be recovered
from spent nuclear fuel during reprocessing, or by the irradiation of
americium in a reactor. In both cases, the targets are subjected to a
chemical treatment, including dissolution in nitric acid to extract the
plutonium-238. A 100kg sample of light water reactor fuel that has been
irradiated for three years contains only about 700 grams of neptunium 237,
and the neptunium must be extracted selectively.

The United States currently has limited facilities to produce plutonium-238.
Since 1993, the U.S. has purchased all of the plutonium-238 it has used in
space probes from Russia. 16.5 kilograms total have been purchased.[1]