[ExI] Lincoln Cannon of the Mormon Transhumanist Association in Second Life, March 30

Giu1i0 Pri5c0 pgptag at gmail.com
Thu Mar 27 12:40:12 UTC 2008

Lincoln Cannon of the Mormon Transhumanist Association in Second Life, March 30

Note: it is Lincoln Cannon and not Robert Geraci as it has been
announced to some lists. Robert (
http://transumanar.com/index.php/site/religion_spirituality_and_the_avatar/
) will of course be invited to the talk and I hope he will come).

http://transumanar.com/index.php/site/lincoln_cannon_of_the_mormon_transhumanist_association_in_second_life_march/

Lincoln Cannon of the Mormon Transhumanist Association will give a
presentation and a Q/A session in Second Life, on March 30 at 10:00
PST, at the virtual headquarters of SL-Transhumanists.

Abstract: Transhumanism is compatible with at least some religious
forms, as illustrated by parallels between basic Transhumanist ideas
and an authentic interpretation of Mormon metaphysics, theodicy,
eschatology and soteriology. These parallels also provide a basis from
which to judge the relative compatibility of other religious forms,
such as Christianity, with Transhumanism.

SUNDAY - MARCH, 30

1000 AM - 1200 PM SLT

SL-Transhumanists @ extropia core

SLURL

The Mormon Transhumanist Association promotes practical faith in human
exaltation through charitable use of science and technology. The
association was founded on 3 March 2006 and affiliated with the World
Transhumanist Association on 6 July 2006. Read the Mormon
Transhumanist Affirmation: (1) We seek the spiritual and physical
exaltation of individuals and their anatomies, as well as communities
and their environments, according to their wills, desires and laws, to
the extent they are not oppressive. (2) We believe that scientific
knowledge and technological power are among the means ordained of God
to enable such exaltation, including realization of diverse prophetic
visions of transfiguration, immortality, resurrection, renewal of this
world, and the discovery and creation of worlds without end. (3) We
feel a duty to use science and technology according to wisdom and
inspiration, to identify and prepare for risks and responsibilities
associated with future advances, and to persuade others to do
likewise.

Lincoln gave a talk last year at the Seminar on H+ and Religion in SL.
His presentation is archived here. His conclusions: "We believe that
scientific knowledge and technological power are among the means
ordained of God to enable such exaltation, including realization of
diverse prophetic visions of transfiguration, immortality,
resurrection, renewal of this world, and the discovery and creation of
worlds without end". This is, I believe, a perfect explanation of why,
despite what fundamentalists may say, transhumanism is not at all
incompatible with religion but, on the contrary, each of the two sets
of sensibilities can boost the other in a positive feedback loop.

I did not know much (still don't) about Mormonism before meeting the
people of the Mormon Transhumanist Association. My mental image of
Mormons was (still is) derived from movies: people leaving in Utah,
always well dressed, very hardworking and much too serious (and men
with many wives). But my image of the MTA is that of a community of
smart and motivated transhumanists who see no conflict, but on the
contrary mutual reinforcement, between transhumanism and their faith.
And there must be something true in the images of Mormons as very
serious and hardworking people, because the MTA website is by far the
best transhumanist community site in terms of both IT implementation
and content. I consider the MTA as a transhumanist success story that
may be (I will ask Lincoln on Sunday) "exported" to other religions
and Christian denominations.