[ExI] rice price

Mike Dougherty msd001 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 29 15:31:26 UTC 2008

On Sat, Mar 29, 2008 at 12:30 AM, Damien Broderick <thespike at satx.rr.com> wrote:
> Uh-oh:
>
>  <http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/d6f1cd74-fc29-11dc-9229-000077b07658.html>Jump
>  in Rice Price Fuels Fears of Unrest
>  JAVIER BLAS and DANIEL TEN KATE - Financial Times (U.K.)
>

>  LONDON and BANGKOK -- Rice prices jumped 30 per cent to an all-time
>  high on Thursday, raising fears of fresh outbreaks of social unrest
>  across Asia where the grain is a staple food for more than 2.5bn people.

Can you explain "Uh-oh" a little more?

My initial impression is that the larger/largest populations require
more of their local food so are less willing to export.  That seems to
make obvious sense.  The polarization of east vs. west is as much a
political problem as a business issue.  I imagine corn farmers would
like to make up for the shortage of rice.  Another reason to stop
commuting on corn and go back to eating it.  If we could give up the
corn syrup at the same time, we'd be much healthier for the effort.

So what direction was "Uh-oh" going?