[ExI] Uploading and selfhood

Michael Miller ain_ani at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 29 17:22:58 UTC 2008

John, you raise some interesting points. I for one would argue that "red" is entirely metaphysical: unless you can point to a physical object which fits the noun red, then what else can it be but metaphysical?

As regards the self, I think we get further in understanding others' points of view by asking what they believe rather than telling them. This is what I am trying to do - if you think the self is comprehensible via the scientific method, can you elaborate on precisely what it is that the word points to?

Regarding the two groups of identical atoms idea - one of my basic problems with this is that they will not be experiencing precisely the same thoughts, because they are located in different spaces. If you ask me a question, I will respond, if you ask the other group the question, I will know it is not directed at me. Whether an entirely identical group of atoms is actually possible or not is a moot point, but (as I think has been discussed) as soon as they are separated, the experiences will begin to diverge. This divergence would be even greater if one is a 'virtual' collection of atoms, designed by humans to replicate the processes and interactions of the material one...unless we were to go so far as to replicate the entire universe 1-to-1. Given how little we know about the material workings of the universe at this point, I would venture some kind of epistemological gap which will make such complete rendering quite impossible.

I think the basic point I'm making here, is that there is not a 1-to-1 correlation between human concepts and words, and static material processes. Semantics always serves to create a generalisation which colours our thinking (and even our root perception) about the world. "Me" is a very simple word, but I think if we're trying to look for an objective entity fitting that description we will be very disappointed. It is, like red, entirely metaphysical...and this is not to say supernatural in any but the most metaphorical sense.