[ExI] Uploading and selfhood

John K Clark jonkc at att.net
Sun Mar 30 17:33:16 UTC 2008

Michael Miller Wrote:

> if you cannot specify with precision what it is that makes this particular
> configuration of atoms "you", how can you claim a virtual emulation to
> be  identical?

You cannot claim to know with precision what makes you you either, and
yet you believe with all your heart that the you of yesterday is still alive
today and you wish that the exact same thing happens to you again
tomorrow. Don't try to deny it! Apparently precision is not necessary in
this matter.

> Is it behaviour that you're saying fulfils the term johnkclark?

I'm saying for me to survive something must be around that remembers
being me; and I'm saying that the idea some people around here like to
push that I'm dead and I just think I'm alive is pure unadulterated
gibberish.

> I think to claim that "johnkclark=matter organised in a johnkclarkian
> way"  is a tautology.

Yea, but so are all correct mathematical equations.

> if two objects are indiscernible even to the degree of their location,
> then in what sense are we talking about two objects?

I can see two objects not one, and if I were an object then you would
win this argument, but I am not an object, I am an adjective. I see two
identical red cars but there is only one red and only one two.

> Maybe I'm me, but maybe I'm not me

There is only one me and maybe I'm here and maybe I'm over there
but it doesn't matter because over there looks just like here.

  John K Clark