[ExI] Under the libertarian yoke

The Avantguardian avantguardian2020 at yahoo.com
Fri May 2 20:25:05 UTC 2008

--- Rafal Smigrodzki <rafal.smigrodzki at gmail.com> wrote:
> Brainstorm here with us on how to solve the problem of global warming,
> assuming that we have been invaded by highly advanced (and therefore
> libertarian) aliens, who say they will fry with lasers everybody who
> initiates the use of force but they won't help us otherwise in dealing
> with our problems (of course they won't, they are heartless
> libertarians). So, willy-nilly, if you want to avoid a miserable death
> on a parched planet, you have to deal with global warming without
> simply grabbing a gun and going after people who disagree with you.

When I was in college, a friend of mine named James Pitts wrote a science
fiction short story regarding genetically-engineered bacteria that when
injected into an oil field rapidly metabolized the oil and polymerized it into
a fibrous gelatinous mass that was impossible to pump out of the ground.

Such an organism used on oil fields throughout the world might render them
useless thus bringing the world to the point it would be in a few decades any
way. One could concievably do this without violence or even without anyone
knowing it had been done deliberately. Companies would have to switch to green
energy because there would be no alternative. All without spilling a drop of
blood. Although Exxon-Mobil might spill plenty of blood if it knew who was
responsible such a thing.

Stuart LaForge
alt email: stuart"AT"ucla.edu

"Life is the sum of all your choices."