[ExI] FLDS side topic--monogamy

hkhenson hkhenson at rogers.com
Sun May 4 01:54:21 UTC 2008

Re the discussions of polygamy (which is the cultural norm for the
considerable majority of cultures) there is a question as to the
origin of monogamy.

The only place I have seen this discussed in EP terms is Robert
Wright's book, _Moral Animal_, but he only talks about which sex on
average does better under polygamy or monogamy.  (In his opinion
females make out better under polygamy--in conditions where males
vary widely in quality.)

Monogamy as a cultural element seems to be associated with a long
history of temperate/northern zone settled farming in Europe and
China.  It is a meme, like all elements of culture.  Memes are
subject to both direct selection and host selection.  I.e., a meme
such as the Shaker religion (which forbid sex entirely) may be
initially successful but will eventually die out due to its negative
effects on host reproduction.

Since virtually all tropical societies did not have the monogamy meme
and seasonal farming societies did, the question is why the monogamy
meme would have improved host reproductive success or (same thing)
why polygamy would have decreased reproductive success in the regions
(and the farming technology) in which it emerged.

It isn't just agriculture because shifting agriculture groups such as
the Yanomano are polygamous.  It isn't just Northern because Azar
Gat's papers discuss polygamy among the Eskimo.  Page 12 here:
http://cniss.wustl.edu/workshoppapers/gatpres1.pdf

Gregory Clark
http://www.econ.ucdavis.edu/faculty/gclark/papers/Capitalism%20Genes.pdf
argues that the environment of stable agrarian societies selected
culture and the people's genes.  Clark's argument is that a different
set of personality traits from those useful in tribal societies were selected.

Now there might be genes for monogamy that were selected as well, but
that seems dubious to me.  So why would the cultural practice of
monogamy have taken over?  True, polygamy was never possible for more
than a minority of men, but why did it fall completely out of favor
among some societies?

Any ideas?  Know of any history of monogamy books that discuss how it
came to pass and what groups were involved?

BTW, what the FLDS is doing is genetic replication, but not at
maximum efficiency.  I would really like to know what the lifetime
production of children is per woman to get a comparison with the
Hutterites who manage about 9 or so and are the standard by which
birth limitations are measured in other cultures.

Dumping the boys is not as efficient in gene replication terms as
marrying them to the girls and working their tails off.

Keith Henson