[ExI] flds raid, was general repudiation...

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Mon May 5 19:53:31 UTC 2008

On Mon, May 5, 2008 at 3:34 PM, MB wrote:
>  Thank you, Amara. :)
>  Wendy certainly expresses my disgust and ... fear quite nicely. She has a fine way
>  with words. :)
>
>  No doubt this FLDS case will be used as a precedent for more state interferances.
>  And which way might this knife cut next, pray tell?

It is, of course, interesting to read comments by concerned law amateurs.

Findlaw.com has the legal position on child abuse set out clearly by a
(woman) law professional.
<http://writ.news.findlaw.com/hamilton/ >

<http://writ.news.findlaw.com/hamilton/20080501.html>

The Rescue of Children from the FLDS Compound in Texas: Why the
Arguments Claiming Due Process Violations and Religious Freedom
Infringement Have No Merit
By MARCI HAMILTON ---                Thursday, May. 01, 2008

Quote:
No self-respecting child protective agency could have departed from
that compound without taking all of the children away as well. The
authorities revealed this week that 31 out of the 53 underage YFZ
girls have been pregnant and/or are pregnant now. Imminent risk of
harm, the legal standard that bound the authorities, was apparent, and
indeed, a decision to leave the children in that setting would have
opened up the state to liability. The key point here is that children
were being abused, and were very likely to be abused in the future,
and, worse, this was occurring in an atmosphere where the adults
seemed incapable of apprehending the depth of the criminal behavior
they were committing.

etc......

BillK