[ExI] flds raid, was general repudiation...

Lee Corbin lcorbin at rawbw.com
Tue May 6 02:57:53 UTC 2008

John Grigg writes

> There is a real disconnect in the Libertarian thinking
> of you [Rafal] and Lee. But honest self-appraisal
> (as in "looking into your own soul") has been replaced
> with intellectual slight of hand and side stepping.

I do disagree with Rafal that the answer is for you, John,
to "look into your own soul". But by the same token,
it's not the case that Rafal and Samantha and Kevin
and I and all those who agree with us are guilty of having
failed "honest self-appraisal".

Clearly neither side should be characterized as uninformed
(except to the general extent that none of us has actually
lived there or known the people involved), or as uneducated,
or unthoughtful, or unethical, or blind, or dumb, or anything
of the kind.

This is simply one of those cases where for rather deeply
held reasons people honestly disagree. It does good to
exchange opinions, I have conjectured, because in the
months and years following such, each person unconsciously
incorporates any telling criticism he or she has listened to.

> Samantha Atkins wrote:
> > Everyone in the world without exception has been subject to "soft style
> > abuse" aka cultural indoctrination.   So what?  Does that mean your
> > indoctrination gives you the right to go in with guns blazing to
> > "rescue" people who may in fact not believe they need rescuing?  Does it
> > so empower you that you not only have that right assuming the costs and
> > risks yourself but have the right to demand that others who may or may
> > not agree with your actions pay for them and sanction them?
>
> Samantha, when you have totally indoctrinated/brainwashed (from birth)
> young teen girls (only fourteen and fifteen), who are being compelled
> to marry older men (statutory rape) that drive off suitors their own
> age, well..., yes, I'm for sending in law enforcement to stop what's
> going on.

But how do you know that it's not *you* who has been indoctrinated
from birth by Christian dogma or other sources? As someone said,
we are all very much influenced by the cultures in which we grew up.

My main point---which I don't think you or anyone else has addressed
---is simply that *knowledge* is necessarily limited by distance and
by lack of personal experience. So whenever we can, we therefore
should all mind our own businesses as much as possible. Only the
most tried and true principles going back hundreds of years, e.g.,
that property must be secure, and the rule of law established, ought
to be regarded as principles we feel free to apply to (by law only)
to people living hundreds of miles away.  Or even next door.

> Call me crazy!  LOL

Never!   LOL.  You may be wrong, but not crazy!

Lee