[ExI] New Alzheimer's Research

Gary Miller aiguy at comcast.net
Mon May 12 00:36:46 UTC 2008

A new report was published in the May 8 online edition of the Journal of
Cellular and Molecular Medicine.

The report identifies two flavonoids called luteolin and diosmin reduced
levels of beta-amyloid, which forms the harmful plaques that build up in the
brains of those with Alzheimer's disease.

"The question is, can we use these flavonoids in people that have cognitive
impairment?" Rezai-Zadeh said. "That's the million-dollar question."

http://health.usnews.com/articles/health/healthday/2008/05/09/flavonoids-may
-help-treat-alzheimers.html

Although cognitive function was not measured in this study and I acknowledge
that there are some scientists out there that believe that reducing
beta-amyloid is not the answer to either prevention or cure of Alzheimer's.

The exciting thing for me is that instead of having to wait seven years for
an approved drug that may have more side effects than the flavinoids there
supplements available now that anyone can buy off the shelf.

For anyone who has a loved one in the beginning stages this disease.  This
article offers hope.