[ExI] NYT ninny

Mike Dougherty msd001 at gmail.com
Tue May 13 22:45:07 UTC 2008

On Tue, May 13, 2008 at 10:01 AM, Jef Allbright <jef at jefallbright.net> wrote:
>  effective exploration. What really frustrates me is not the ignorance
>  of the masses, but the dissipativeness of the cognoscenti.

Perhaps the greater subjective distances from one another causes the
signal to possess less apparent strength?

I do not have a paper to prove this theory, but I believe the
'geniuses' of the first wave of scientific worldview were able to
possess cross-domain knowledge of nearly every field.  Today it takes
20+ years of specialized study to be able to speak with existing
participants in a limited realm of expertise.  The sheer volume of
information to be learned is prohibitive of the kind know-it-all
mastery that we expect of the term genius.

I agree that what was once considered intelligence is often lost in
background noise