[ExI] Jacques Cousteau on evolution and survival

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Fri May 16 07:29:15 UTC 2008

On Fri, May 16, 2008 at 12:32 AM, nvitamore wrote:
> Has anyone read _The Ocean World_ by Jacques-Yves Cousteau?  If so, if you
> have a moment please explain why he believed that dying is necessary for
> the process of evolution, that evolution is necessary for "survival," and
> that whether an organism is mortal or immortal it "must die".

It has been discussed on Immortality Institute forum, here:
<http://www.imminst.org/forum/index.php?s=9e61b41cccd953ec580456b52c1f1cd9&showtopic=9775>

I think he is saying that immortality means being perfectly adjusted
to the environment, i.e. loss of adaptive ability. When the
environment changes, the immortals die.

A species which still adapts, means that when the environment changes,
many die, but many others adapt and survive.

BillK