[ExI] nanomachine progress

Bryan Bishop kanzure at gmail.com
Sun May 18 20:55:10 UTC 2008

On Sunday 18 May 2008, Jeff Davis wrote:
> I'm probably a little late with this pointer, but here it is...
>
> On April 28th, Michael Annisimov, on his blog(?) Accelerating Future,
> at:
> http://www.acceleratingfuture.com/michael/blog/?cat=6
> US researchers have built a proto-prototype nano assembler
> International Journal of Nanomanufacturing - "Design of an on-chip
> microscale nanoassembly system", Vol 1, Issue 6, pp 710-721
>
> I can't find the above article full text, so if anyone has access to
> it, could you send me a copy or a link?

Yes, I posted some fulltext on my blog:
http://heybryan.org/~bbishop/cgi-bin/blosxom.cgi/nanotech/
http://heybryan.org/~bbishop/cgi-bin/blosxom.cgi/sci/nano/

Full text is at:
http://www.isd.mel.nist.gov/meso_micro/GormanISNM2006.pdf

"In this paper, the design and proposed operation of a
MEMS-based nanoassembly system is presented. The
nanoassembly system is comprised of four nanomanipulators
that can work independently or cooperatively. The design of
the nanomanipulators will be discussed and experimental
characterization results for one nanomanipulator will be
presented. Three critical research issues for this project are
then discussed: nanomanipulation strategies using the
nanoassembly system; MEMS precision motion control; and
integration of the on-chip nanoassembly system with a
scanning electron microscope / focused ion beam instrument
to obtain a complete nanomanufacturing environment."

- Bryan