[ExI] Space Based Solar Power vs. Nuclear Fission

hkhenson hkhenson at rogers.com
Sun May 18 20:53:33 UTC 2008

At 10:44 PM 5/17/2008, Lee wrote:
>Keith wrote in (English-speaking Google News....)
>
> > If the coupling between energy and food is as modeled then the ride
> > down the back side of peak oil/energy is going to reduce the world's
> > human population to a small fraction of the current level...
> > The rational thing would be to develop replacement energy, and space
> > based solar power seems to be the best bet.
>
>Perhaps you've addressed this before, but I missed it.
>
>Having described the high initial investment costs regarding
>space based solar power, why exactly do you believe this
>to be a more feasible solution than further development of
>conventional nuclear power?

It may not be.  If we could build a space elevator, the energy
payback time is incredibly short--at least for the energy needed to
lift a power sat to GEO.

Specific orbital energy is u/2r, (398,600/42,000)/2 or -4.75Mj/kg

Potential is -9.5Mk/kg and kinetic is 4.75Mj/kg

Potential at the earth's surface is -62.6 MJ/kg; the difference is 53.1Mj/kg.

Using a space elevator, the rotation of the earth provides the
kinetic energy.  Since a joule is a watt-second; 53,100
kW-s/kg/3600kW-s/kWh is 14.75 kWh/kg

A kW/kg power sat repays its lift energy 14 hour and 45 minutes after
being turned on.  A 2kg/kW power sat would take 29.5 hours.

There is a heck of a lot of sunlight out there, and you don't need
much structure to capture it in zero g.  Whatever rate you get for
paying off solar cells on the ground, they will repay it at least
three times faster in orbit.

With rockets, it's still not too bad.

http://www.ilr.tu-berlin.de/koelle/Neptun/NEP2015.pdf

Neptune is about 3 times the capacity of a Saturn 5, and this design
was done by some of the same people so it's solid engineering.

This vehicle delivers 350 mt to LEO, and 100 mt to lunar orbit or
GEO. To lift 100 mt to GEO Neptune uses 3762-mt of propellant for the
first stage, 1072 mt second stage and 249 mt for the third totaling 5077 mt.

SSME O2 to H2 ratio is 6 to
1.
http://www.pw.utc.com/vgn-ext-templating/v/index.jsp?vgnextrefresh=1&vgnextoid=75a0184c712de010VgnVCM100000c45a529fRCRD

I.e., 1 part in 7 of the propellant is LH. or about 725 mt of
LH.  The launch site would make electrolytic hydrogen out of water
(the only long term source). That costs about 50 kWh/kg plus another
15 kWh to liquefy the H2.  Add 5 kWh for liquefying oxygen at 6 x .8 kWh/kg.

That would be 70 MWh per mt, or 70 GW hours for 1000 tons, or 50.8
GWh for 725 mt. At a kg/kW, 100 tons of satellite produces 100,000
kW, or 0.1 GW.  Thus it would take 508 hours to pay back the lift
energy or 21.2 days, 42.4 days for 2kg/kW.

Rocket efficiency here would be 14.75/508 or 2.9%.

A nuclear tug stage shuttling between LEO and GEO might double this
efficiency raising the payload from 100 mt to 200 mt.  That is the
consequences of a 15 km/sec exhaust velocity.

It's the high cost of rocket hardware, not lift energy payback, that
makes power sats expensive.  If we could get that down . . .

As for conventional nuclear power, I can't see it being built fast
enough.  The need for replacement energy as oil fades out of the
picture is around a GW/day.  That's in addition to the problem of
neutrons being diverted to make plutonium 239 out of DU.

Keith