[ExI] Space Based Solar Power vs. Nuclear Fission

hkhenson hkhenson at rogers.com
Sun May 18 21:39:46 UTC 2008

At 11:56 AM 5/18/2008, Kevin wrote:
>On Sun, May 18, 2008 at 2:58 AM, BillK
><<mailto:pharos at gmail.com>pharos at gmail.com> wrote:
>If you are really worried about the energy crisis, you have to DIY.
>
>Agreed as far as it goes, but it won't be enough.  I'm dependent on
>cheap sources of food, water, and a job to provide these
>things.  Even with all the solar and wind power I can put together,
>all I'd have is basically electricity.  Increases in fuel costs
>leads, eventually, to mass unemployment *and* higher prices for
>food, water, and shelter.  Doing my own gardening is *not* going to
>provide me with enough food year round unless I have my own
>multi-acre farm, and even then, what am I going to do in the winter?

Having raised a lot of the family's food back in the 1970s, I can
tell you it's a way to keep very busy.  It is also inefficient in its
own way.

>That's the thing: a space based solar power station, even if the
>project is successful, is only one link in the change.  We still
>need to find some way to, basically, turn electricity into fuel that
>can be used to power tractors and automobiles.

It isn't *a* power station, it's a new 5 GW one every 5 days for the
next 50 years.  And that's just to replace fossil fuels and a little
growth the bring China and India up.

But it isn't hard to use penny a kWh electricity to make low cost
liquid fuels.  The first big use would be making hydrogen so the
Canadian tar sands can be upgraded to synthetic petroleum without
having to burn half to make the hydrogen.  Anything containing carbon
can be turned into liquid fuels if there is lots of energy
available.  Bio mass and even limestone could be used for carbon
sources.  Eventually synthetic fuel plants could suck carbon dioxide
out of the air.

But I doubt things will develop that far before the singularity.  At
that point (assuming people still exist in a form where they would
want cars) you could get a seed that you plant next to your
driveway.  It grows into a tree that makes 100 octane gasoline--hose
and nozzle grow right out of the tree.

>And how about industrial plants?  Do they use grid electricity or do
>they use an oil derivative?

It depends on what they are making.  Besides being burned to make
electricity, coal (and oil) are feed stocks to make all sorts of
things like plastics.

Keith