[ExI] Immortality via Begetting Offspring

Bryan Bishop kanzure at gmail.com
Mon May 19 02:43:24 UTC 2008

On Sunday 18 May 2008, John Grigg wrote:
> Bryan Bishop wrote:
> > With enough little researchers running around, maybe you can have
> > enough kids going around the place to assemble the necessary
> > research and tools to get it all done. In a less literal manner,
> > yes, I understand that you refer to the "living on through
> > children" scenarios.
>
> You, Ray Kurzweil, Eliezer Yudkowsky, Michael Annisimov, and others
> better start cranking out the high IQ little kids to get the whole
> Singularity thing kicked into high gear!  We could give the next
> Singularity Institute Conference a speed dating event and/or a
> bachelor auction!  And a Transhumanist sperm/egg donor clinic could
> be the next logical step.  Oh, and an "E-Transhumanist" personals
> website might be great, except for the ten guys for every one women.

Though I appreciate the humor, and the undoubtedly hot chick, I'm
thinking that the whole human self-replication process is rather
intensely drawn out -- 12 to 15 years to get a little guy, or even many
little guys and girls, up to speed, just to get to the singularity?
Jeesh, wasn't the singularity scheduled to occur before then?

Disclaimers:
[Also, I don't generally support the idea of having (using) children to
advance goals like that, although it would be interesting if it turned
out that way.]

- Bryan