[ExI] Space Based Solar Power vs. Nuclear Fission

hkhenson hkhenson at rogers.com
Mon May 19 17:36:25 UTC 2008

At 03:11 AM 5/19/2008, you wrote:
>On Sun, May 18, 2008 at 10:53 PM, hkhenson <hkhenson at rogers.com> wrote:
> > It may not be.  If we could build a space elevator, the energy
> > payback time is incredibly short--at least for the energy needed to
> > lift a power sat to GEO.
>
>Speaken of unproven, or rather non-existing, technologies... :-)

The major problem is the cable.  It's obvious that nanotech would be
up to building the cable, and there are other ways that might do it
such as enzymatic dehydrating of tri-hydroxy-benzine or using iron as
a solvent that offer a chance we could make 100,000 tons of strong
enough nanotube cable even before the singularity.

(The singularity is nanotechnology and AI.  It is almost impossible
to imagine getting either one without the other element coming on
line in a time measured in weeks.)

But the main reason to look at a space elevator is to see how other
methods compare to the minimum lift cost.

>Having said that, needless to say I am absolutely in favour of
>investigating and implementing both satellite- or moon-based solar
>energy and researching the fundamentals that might lead to a space
>elevator.
>
>Speaking of lowest hanging fruits, I do not see such things as very
>rapid-deployment solutions, however.

If you want rapid deployment, then rockets are the way to
go.  800,000 tons per year is a gigantic project perhaps on a par
with the Iraq war, but we can put numbers on it and they are within
reason.  For example, the production for rocket hardware is a bit
less than the high point Boeing reached for one aircraft, the 747.

>Please note however that I am
>much better informed of the state-of-the art of nuclear fusion.

Unless you are talking about exotic reactions, fusion has the same
problem as fission; it generates neutrons.  I have come to look at
neutron sources and DU as a nasty combination, especially after
figuring out ways to make nukes that are so simple a well funded
street gang could make
them.  http://www.kuro5hin.org/story/2007/10/30/18253/301

The other problem is the incredible number of power plants of any
kind it takes to replace the energy we get from oil and other fossil
fuels.  It's about a GW a day of new capacity.  I can make a case,
even with rockets, for putting in a GW a day of solar power
satellites.  As I recall, fusion plants are estimated in the 10 GW
range.  Even if we knew how to make them, can you see starting up one
every ten days?

Keith