[ExI] English-speaking Google News and Myanmar (Burma)

John Grigg possiblepaths2050 at gmail.com
Tue May 20 14:43:28 UTC 2008

Thomas wrote:
What I was trying to ask was: how, if ever, could the United States
change to ensure their lasting existence as superpower? Actually, this might
well have been put to debate already, but it is a most recent issue I
assume. Seeing the rapid development the Chinese show and the relative
stagnation of Europe (too bad...). As I gather, what is at stake is no less
than the status quo of the States as leading superpower. This is nothing
compared to the Singularity, of course, but is an issue. The elections in
the U.S. show a most fascinating end, right? If you don't like politics, I
agree. Me neither. Then we should dump this mail and forget about it.

This question greatly concerns me.  China, whether the U.S. likes it
or not, is going to become a superpower to be reckoned with.  A huge
challenge to the U.S. is how to handle this matter wisely.  On the one
hand, we could have a massive arms race/cold war, which could waste
untold billions/trillions of dollars and lead to a horrific war, or we
could at least try to peacefully engage the Chinese government and
people, of course all the while maintaining a sufficiently strong
military.  And I think for the latter course we need strong military
alliances with Europe, Russia and India, so we don't go it alone.

Considering the Neocon bungling of the Iraq war, I cringe to consider
whether such thinking/people could handle the subject of a resurgent
Communist China.  The current Chinese government is a very ruthless
one to be sure, that must be dealt with from a position of strength,
but that does not mean we should play into their hands by escalating
things unnecessarily.  I hope the China's rising generation will be
more open to Western values and principles of civil liberty and not
see us as the "enemy."

John Grigg