[ExI] 1984 and Orwell's Warnings

Olga Bourlin fauxever at sprynet.com
Wed May 21 01:26:54 UTC 2008

From: "Lee Corbin" <lcorbin at rawbw.com>

> Even though I am a devout, practicing, orthodox, and
> upstanding atheist, I go ballistic whenever I see
> someone trying to drop "B.C." down the memory-hole
> so that we can replace it with "B.C.E.".  This is the
> totalitarian tendency at work, to not only repudiate
> outworn concepts such as God (which of course I
> agree with) but to DESTROY EVERY LAST
> VESTIGE OF OLDSPEAK, and erase anything
> that might even incidentally remind people of
> "incorrect" thinking.

Really ... you go ballistic?  Because you want to keep "Anno Domini?" And
you expect people like Jews and Muslims and atheists to like using that
designation?

I don't understand.

I've noticed some museums have started using BCE and CE to date their
displays.  I think that's wonderful and modern and inclusive.

So, you think museums in China should use "in the Year of our Lord?"

Some Oldspeak is simply that ... old and irrelevant and oh-so-tribalistic.

Olga