[ExI] [Ethics] Consequential, deontological, virtue-based, preference-based..., ...

Vladimir Nesov robotact at gmail.com
Thu May 22 12:20:05 UTC 2008

On Wed, May 21, 2008 at 7:53 PM, Jef Allbright <jef at jefallbright.net> wrote:

> Each disregards the systems-theoretic truth that any system will
> exactly express its nature (its values, within the context of its
> environment) while the perceived moral value of the action ranges from
> "good" (within a specific context) to "right" (in principle) as a
> function of the perceived quality (coherence over context) of the
> model of reality it implements.

Jef, I heard you mention this coherence over context thing several
times, as some kind of objective measure for improvement. Do you have
this concept written up somewhere, perhaps in earlier messages, or is
it a standard thing, and there are references? I'm very much
interested, since I'm myself struggling to develop the notion of
"benevolent" modification: when given a system, what changes can you
make in it that are in general enough sense benevolent from the point
of view of the system, when no explicit
utility-over-all-possible-changes is given.

--
Vladimir Nesov
robotact at gmail.com