[ExI] flds raid, was general repudiation...

Amara Graps amara at amara.com
Sat May 24 10:19:34 UTC 2008

As usual, Wendy McElroy is a voice of reason in this mess:

The Savage Travesty that is Unraveling
http://www.wendymcelroy.com/news.php?extend.1577

a clip:

"But, for the record, I will reiterate. I don't like the FLDS religious
sect. I think the ideology that they inculcate into children is worse
than drek -- it is dangerous to their intellectual and emotional
well-being. But how is this different from families in which the parents
are fundamentalist Christian or raving Marxists or radically Muslim? Are
we going to have a State-imposed purity test for ideology before
allowing parents to raise their children? Unless and until there is
clear evidence of physical abuse, no third party has any business using
force to step between a parent and a child. PERIOD.

The FLDS is one of those litmus tests by which you can separate true
libertarians (who believe that rights apply to ALL individuals) from
those who believe rights apply only to the nice people of the world. You
know, OUR sort. Well...the FLDS is not my sort. It is not in the next
county from being my sort. But each individual member of the FLDS has
the same right to freedom of speech, freedom of religion, etc. etc. as I
do. Frankly, sometimes I don't like the fact that human rights are
universal. But I always find solace in the fact that universal rights
are tremendously better than the alternative."

Amara

--

Amara Graps, PhD      www.amara.com
Research Scientist, Southwest Research Institute (SwRI), Boulder, Colorado