[ExI] "There's probably no God. Now stop worrying and enjoy your life."

Stathis Papaioannou stathisp at gmail.com
Sat Nov 1 06:48:51 UTC 2008

2008/11/1 samantha <sjatkins at mac.com>:

> That there is no God both is and is not a reason to not worry depending on
> one's model of what such a being might me and its implications for us.  That
> there is no God and thus no afterlife etc. can be quite worrisome as it is
> the end of the cosmic "re-do" or "another chance".    I think that the day
> when there being no God really sinks in is the day life-extension and other
> human+ technology gains major support.   Those who believe that this human
> life is not all there is can't be bothered to care too much about extending
> it or even to fully consider death as much of a tragedy.   This has
> implications across the moral/ethical spectrum.

Actually, "believers" don't behave as if they really believe in an
afterlife. Their attitude to medicine, law enforcement or road safety
is surely not much different than that of atheists; but why would you
bother with those things if the worst that could happen was that you
die and end up in Heaven?

--
Stathis Papaioannou