[ExI] Capitalizing on "Life Extension"

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Mon Nov 3 01:49:51 UTC 2008

At 04:57 PM 11/2/2008 -0800, Spike wrote:

>Prayer for the sick only works if you believe.  Of course it is much easier
>to believe if you get better.

By protocol, the "you" who is the subject of the alleged distant
treatment *does not know (by any normal means) if he or she is
targeted*. That being so, if there's a significant difference in some
medically relevant parameter at the end but not the start of the
trial, patients' belief *can't* be the operative factor.

Anyone is free to deny that any such evidence can possibly exist, and
refuse to look at it. As with cold fusion, I don't have a dog in this
fight. If anything, I'm biased against the idea, because it could all
too easily lend itself to a revival of lunatic witch-hunting and
repudiation of empirical medicine and surgery. That bias acts to
deter me from reading much of the documentation. But my declared
ignorance of it thereby prevents me from blanket nay-saying, and
meanwhile a whole lot of medicos and nurses do attest to such effects
as demonstrated in apparently good experimental protocols (see the
biblio I url'd). Does this mean I'm *frightened* to examine the
alleged evidence? Maybe so.

>The person doing the prayer must also be a believer

That would seem highly likely. My working assumption, of course, is
that "prayers of healing" or "therapeutic intent" etc, if they do
work, DON'T do so by persuading some Vast Eternal All-Wise Cosmic
Creator of the Cosmos to fuck about with the immutable laws He set
up, or by reprogramming the Matrix Simulation. My guess is that it
would have to be some kind of nonlocal field effect, where the
informational state of the "healer" somehow directly interfaces with
relevant portions of the patient's brain/body and tweaks its immune
system, say, rather in the way a part of one's own mind/brain can do
the same thing to oneself through meditation, hypnosis, relaxation,
etc. A guess only, of course, since I am neither a physicist nor a medico.

Damien Broderick