[ExI] "thoughts to live by" regarding youth subculture

spike spike66 at att.net
Mon Nov 10 06:02:54 UTC 2008

From: extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org
[mailto:extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of John Grigg
Sent: Sunday, November 09, 2008 9:38 PM
To: ExI chat list
Subject: Re: [ExI] "thoughts to live by" regarding youth subculture

spike <spike66 at att.net> wrote:

Do let me be the first to admit to being so square as to admit I don't get
it...spike

>Think of it along the lines of Goth, in that it is both a youth subculture
and a genre of music...

Ja, I read about it, still don't get it.

>Emo is famous for having lyrics complaining about how rotten and unfair
life is...

This I really don't get, for it seems to me this whole memeset keeps popping
up, yet modern youth have it so made in so many ways, I can't imagine why
the notion doesn't quietly go extinct.  There are so many opportunites
today, not just knocking but tearing the door off the hinges, I fail to
grasp why the whole weird clothing, dark is this veil of tears attitude.
Here's a good insprirational song for them, from thirty years ago, a
straight up rock anthem that tells it like it was then and is now:

Fooling Yourself (the Angry Young Man)

 	 You see the world through your cynical eyes
You're a troubled young man I can tell
You've got it all in the palm of your hand
But your hand's wet with sweat and your head needs a rest
You're foolin' yourself if you don't believe it
You're kidding yourself if you don't believe it
How can you be such an angry young man
When your future looks quite bright to me
How can there be such a sinister plan
That could hide such a lamb, such a caring young man

You're foolin' yourself if you don't believe it
You're kidding yourself if you don't believe it
Get up, get back on your feet
You're the one they can't beat and you know it
Come on, let's see what you've got
Just take your best shot and don't blow it

You're foolin' yourself if you don't believe it
You're kidding yourself if you don't believe it
Get up, get back on your feet
You're the one they can't beat and you know it
Come on, let's see what you've got
Just take your best shot and don't blow it.

>...and especially how women will do you wrong and totally break your heart,
which of course happens to be true.  ; ) John

Come now Johnny, I know you personally and I know you are the nicest guy on
ExI-chat.  Many women would be thankful to have you and wouldn't break your
heart.  Be sure you are looking for them in the right places pal.  Someone
out there who knows a single young lady of transhumanist mindset, do have
them contact John Grigg.  I can assure them they will not be disappointed.