[ExI] Online social groups.

hkhenson hkhenson at rogers.com
Fri Nov 14 04:30:17 UTC 2008

At 08:27 PM 11/13/2008, John Grigg wrote:
>Spike wrote:
> >Certainly in the
> >old days (mid 90s) we took on a lot more heavy topics.
>
>Ahhh...., the whispered about age when giants bestrode the Extropian
>list, that was a vast five years or so before I joined in
>'99.   Spike, do you know of people who have archived the list from
>those days and could share some of the more impressive threads?
>
>What were some of the heavy topics that your remember?  And what
>were some of the conclusions reached (if any)?
>
>John  : )

I archived some of it.

One of the topics of that time was filling solar space with
computronium.  One never settled matter was the cube (or square)
increase of computational power while the speed went down with the
inverse size.  Charles Stross used a lot of that list traffic in Accelerando.

I don't think that's likely.  In fact, I think the chances are that
few humans will get off the planet and that the most likely physical
state population at the end of this century is zero.  You can see why
I think so in "the clinic seed."

Keith