[ExI] convergence 08

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Sun Nov 16 08:43:01 UTC 2008

On Sun, Nov 16, 2008 at 7:40 AM, Damien Broderick wrote:
> At 10:34 PM 11/15/2008 -0800, Spike wrote:
>
>> From merely standing in the presence of these four men, I am so in awe of
>> myself.
>
> And rightly so; I see you're the only one with a waist. :)

Actually, Damien, this is a very important observation.
Recent research has indicated that if you don't have a waist, then you
have a shorter life expectancy.

See:
<http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?id=waist-hip-size-key-to-pre>

Among people with comparable BMIs, having an extra 2 inches around the
waist increased the annual risk of death by 17 percent for men and 13
percent for women, according to the team led by Dr. Tobias Pischon of
the German Institute of Human Nutrition Potsdam-Rehbruecke in
Nuthetal, Germany.

Even among people of normal weight, men with the biggest bellies had
more than twice the death rate of the slimmest. For women, the rate
was 79 percent higher if their weight was in the normal range yet
their bellies were big.

Also see:
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waist-hip_ratio>

Looks like I *really* ought to cut down on the chocolate digestive biscuits.

BillK