[ExI] Personal Pronouns

David C. Harris dharris234 at mindspring.com
Mon Nov 17 02:15:31 UTC 2008

Excellent exploration of the problems on the genetic side, but it gets
murkier on the hormonal influence side.  There are even people who
produce testosterone but are insensitive to it.

I've been an "ally" member of an LGBT support group at the
Unitarian-Universalist church (probably mostly agnostics).  I've spent
enough time getting to know LGBT people that my anxieties about "queers"
has subsided.  And in the process, I've learned a lot about the variety
of sexualities/gemders.

Besides the genetics of X's and Y's, people seem to vary in their
feeling of what they are (sexual identity) and what they fall in
love/lust with (sexual attraction).  I'm a heterosexual male, but I've
met people who seem equally intense about being or loving people at
variance from the most common combinations.  Their intensity makes me
suspect that some developmental process sometimes goes awry, or even
that that there is a normal spectrum of sexual identity/attractions
expressible on a 2-D graph.  And the genetic origins are at least one
more dimension.  At first it made me feel anxious, but after getting to
know some of "them", it has become friendship with people who explore
the varieties of sexual expression.  As people who value transhumanism
(in a different sense), we can think of them as people who "boldly go
where no one...".