[ExI] Thoughts on Space based solar power

ben benboc at lineone.net
Fri Nov 21 21:35:35 UTC 2008

The Avantguardian <avantguardian2020 at yahoo.com> aka Stuart LaForge inquired:

 > What country are you citizen of Ben?

One of the cloudiest. Good ol' Blighty*.

 > It is certainly worth thinking about but tethered balloons have a
 > large number of problems of their own. Everything that is at all
 > useful to humanity can be used for death. You can kill somebody with
a > pencil. If you are afraid of MW death rays, you
 > should be afraid of explosive oil refineries not to mention
 > hurricanes, floods, and other symptoms of climatic instability.

Heh. It's bizarre that some people foam at the mouth at the idea of
nuclear power stations, but are quite complacent about the hundreds of
millions of tanks of highly flammable hydrocarbons whizzing all around
them at high speeds.

Pencils?  I'm dreading the day when airport security catch on to the
fact that shoelaces can be deadly weapons (or socks, in some cases).

Anyway, granted that tethered balloons would have lots of practical
problems to be solved.  I just thought it would be a cheaper (by
approximately a LOT), and thus more likely to be a near-term solution
than powersats.

If people are willing to dedicate parcels of land for those lumbering
great stupid wind turbines, they'd be willing to dedicate a patch of sky
to a big raft of solar collectors, surely?

Ben Zaiboc

* The UK, just in case 'Blighty' means nothing to you