[ExI] asim roy brain theory

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Sat Nov 22 09:11:30 UTC 2008

On Sat, Nov 22, 2008 at 4:48 AM, Brent Allsop wrote:
> Additionally, non of this has anything to do with the 'Hard Problem', which
> I believe the full understanding of such will turn out to be much more
> significant and likely to bear powerful world changing fruits.  Indeed, I
> believe the full demonstrable understanding of such will turn out to be the
> greatest scientific discovery - ever.  Richard - what are your thoughts on
> this?  Does any of Roy's work have anything to do with the 'Hard Problem' in
> any way?  Or is it all just simply about behavioral mechanisms or designs -
> categorically different than the phenomenal?

I raised this paper on the AGI list and they don't think much of it over there.

He seems to be arguing against self-organizing neural networks and
rule-based machines like 'Deep Blue'. His claim is that there are lots
of 'controllers' and 'sub-controllers' scattered around the brain to
help the organization. Although he does agree with the connectionists
that there is no 'supervisor' or 'ghost in the machine' in overall
charge of the brain.

The AGI folk say that there is nothing new here, that most AI
researchers nowadays accept this point.

BillK