[ExI] Thoughts on Space based solar power (alternatives)

Paul D. Fernhout pdfernhout at kurtz-fernhout.com
Sun Nov 23 00:53:22 UTC 2008

CORRECTION: Just for the record, this section below contains a mathematical
decimal point shift error -- I thought somehow it was a little too good to
be true. :-) It doesn't change my overall point though.

I  calculated "three hundred thousand square miles is devoted to roads" when
that should be "thirty thousand square miles" (about, using the rounded 1%
figure of about three million total square miles in the USA). In turn that
means that roadways *only* :-) provide about ten times the area we need to
produce all our power in the USA from photovoltaics, not one hundred times
as I had written. A hazard of staying up too late, sorry. In turn, the USA
would have to cover about 50% of US roadways to power the planet (perhaps
making liquid fuels and exporting it via tankers? :-)

That amount is still only 0.1% of the total USA land area.

Other related calculations:
   http://www.naturestudy.org/
"If the entire state of Arizona were covered by PV facilities, enough
electricity would be produced for 110 billion people domestic electrical
use, or the equivalent of the number of people on 18 Earths! We could invite
17 other planets to come and buy our electrical energy. ... Why isn’t the
United States pursuing this kind of energy production? It a good question,
for which I have struggled to find answers. Environmental economists only
tell me that the conventional wisdom is that solar will never be more than a
minor player in the energy game. Is it just a mind-set that is holding us
back? ..."

Anyway, while the scale of the energy problem is use, so is the scale of the
benefits of doing something about it, and so is the scale of the country
itself and all the resources 300 million people in the USA can do (let alone
the rest of the world). And that potential is so huge, even a slipped
decimal point or two either way still shows it.

--Paul Fernhout