[ExI] [Soc]Complex Adaptive Systems - Tending Always to 50/50 split

Jef Allbright jef at jefallbright.net
Sat Oct 11 19:32:17 UTC 2008

This seems very obvious, but I'm having difficulty finding any
analysis or commentary applicable to economics, politics, or social
choice.  Does anyone here have any useful references?

More explicitly, I'm referring to the natural tendency for such
systems --  with multiple, effectively closed feedback loops with
multiple, diverse transform functions -- to equilibrate with maximal
bipolar separation across what amounts to a hyperplane representing
the subset of features of perceived common interest.

More specifically, I'm referring to the tendency of political systems
representing a complex mix of values (perceived preferences) to arrive
at a roughly 50/50 split across populations. Or the observation that
variation in preferences between human twins tends to correlate about
50/50 correlation with nature vs. nurture (actually more on the side
of nature as "the" aggregate feedback loop of adaptation in this case
is getting looser.)

More pointedly, I'm referring to the apparent lack of formal
recognition of this natural dynamic, fundamental in system-theoretic
and information-theoretic terms, toward high-probability **bipolar**
separation regardless of the complex hierarchy of the supporting
matrix of values represented.

I understand that until recently, we've lacked the computing machinery
necessary to effectively represent much more than the most superficial
levels of any issue regardless of importance.  I recognize also that
many (most?) people are by nature predisposed by nature or training to
be unequipped or uncomfortable with multiple layers of abstraction.  I
also realize the political incorrectness of such a line of thought in
regard to the democratic ideal of "one person / one vote" as if
systems and information theoretic concerns must be morally irrelevant.

Am I missing something here, or is this really an academic void?

- Jef