[ExI] New Browser: Google Chrome

Bryan Bishop kanzure at gmail.com
Thu Sep 4 19:06:28 UTC 2008

On Tuesday 02 September 2008, Emlyn wrote:
> Really totally off topic for anything, but Google's new open source
> browser, Chrome, is awesome. I would normally find a new browser to
> be a very dull thing, but this one is major cool. Noticeably faster
> than IE and Firefox, very slick, everything seems to work well, cool
> new geek tools hiding away in there.

I find browsers to be totally on-topic actually. :-) More so than other
things that are typically discussed. One of the issues in browsing the
web is that I hit this upper limit of about 400 tabs at once in Opera.
In Firefox I hit an upper limit of maybe 50 before things start to go
up in flames. Google Chrome might be smart enough to make the cut with
multithreaded tabs, but we'll see. I have to go scrunge up a Windows
box or something.

Here are some of my thoughts on doing some intense extropic browsing:
http://heybryan.org/projects/browsehack/tabtabtab.html
http://heybryan.org/projects/autoscholar/
http://heybryan.org/~bbishop/docs/2008-07-31/ for "focused web crawling"
also my "on hold" (but not?) implementation of 'search facilitator'.

- Bryan