[ExI] QT and SR

The Avantguardian avantguardian2020 at yahoo.com
Sat Sep 6 11:31:18 UTC 2008

--- John K Clark <jonkc at bellsouth.net> wrote:

> > 1. Something we do *here* causes an effect *there*.
>
> I demur at step 1. If it were a cause you could have instantaneous
> communication and I specifically said more than once and for at least a
> decade that is not possible. Perhaps you could call it instantaneous
> correlation. Sometimes I like to think that you can send a message faster
> than light but it's encoded and the key to decode it can only be sent at
> light speed or less.

Suppose you sent two space probes into diametrically opposed circumpolar orbits
at 1 AU around a magnetar. At some predetermined signal, the two probes are to
measure the polarity of the magnetic field and transmit its data to the other
probe. Wouldn't the fact that one probe measures that it is at the north pole
of the magnetic field, instantaneously tell it that the other probe was at the
south pole, 16 minutes before the signal from the other probe arrived? Would
this be information travelling faster than the speed of light or would this
simply be a correlation? Could the correlation be said to move or travel at any
speed at all?

Stuart LaForge

"A portion of mankind take pride in their vices and pursue their purpose; many more waver between doing what is right and complying with what is wrong." - Horace