[ExI] Psi (was QT and SR)

John K Clark jonkc at bellsouth.net
Sun Sep 7 21:18:03 UTC 2008

"Damien Broderick" <thespike at satx.rr.com>

> rather than asserting endlessly and pointlessly that X *can't*
>  happen  because reigning doctrine seems to argue against
> its  possibility, even  though X *does* occur quite often,
> physicists might be well advised to start looking for loopholes
> that permit these effects.

I think it's ridiculous to assert that reputable scientists have been
rejecting psi (or ESP or spiritualism) for centuries because it
violates the known laws of physics, because they would LOVE to
see such a thing! The reason physics is in such a rut is that nobody
has performed an experiment that can't be explained for about 35
years. If the large Hadron Collider, which goes online for the first
time on Wednesday, doesn't find something absolutely bizarre that
cannot be explained by the known laws of physics then there are
going to be some very unhappy physicists.

The second worst thing would be if the machine find the Higgs
particle but nothing more, better if it finds nothing at all, according
to what we think we know we should find the Higgs, if we don't find
it then then that's new.

The very worst thing would be if the machine destroys the Universe,
but that's all silly media hype, the effect is likely to be much more
localized and just destroy the galaxy.

No, the reason Psi is rejected is that when skilled experimenters,
that is to say people who have been known to perform important
and even beautiful non Psi experiments turn their attention to Psi
they see nothing; and yet lousy experimenters, that is to say those
who have done nothing of note except Psi, find it extrodanarly easily.

But this is not a surprise; if a man knew he was endowed with
experimental genius he would be unlikely to enter a field that has
made absolutely positively no progress in well over a century.
But if I knew I was all thumbs in the lab Psi research is where I'd go,
in that field being crappy is an advantage.

  John K Clark