[ExI] Facebook is freaking me out

Sondre Bjellås sondre-list at bjellas.com
Mon Sep 8 09:33:48 UTC 2008

Sounds interesting, I've actually been on Facebook for quite a while but my
use pattern has been reduced to checking it a few times a week. It's a nice
tool, but I predict it only to be the beginning of a personal relationship
database that everyone will have eventually. Recently the major social
network sites agreed upon a protocol for exchange of contact details, so you
basically can import/export contacts between the networks. I predict that
we'll soon have a virtual cloud of data stores on the web that is event and
notification driven. Doesn't really matter if the data is exposed through
Facebook, MySpace or other "views" onto your social network data, they are
only representations of YOUR data.

Your social and professional network is probably the most important "data"
you have, it shouldn't be trusted to a single institution and I believe it
to become some sort of cloud based data structure that you can visualize
using any device. It will be the foundation of which you store your
aggregated media: photos, voice messages, videos, e-mails, messenger, SMS'
... all linked with the logical representation of your physical
relationships.

*I've had a vision of such a system for many years, but never had the time
or resources to actually develop it and I'm not in the position where I
could find venture capital to actually develop it.*

- Sondre