[ExI] "PC"

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Wed Sep 10 01:04:15 UTC 2008

There's a lot of confusion surrounding this ham-fisted "PC"
expression. Whose "politics" are supposed to be supported by
"correct" thinking and speaking, and who are the Western politicians
who ordain its correctness?

One component is PCness what I'd rather call "mealy-mouthed
euphemism". Even there, it's not clear who gains by calling a person
who is cognitively disabled "a veggie" rather than "someone with
special needs". I'd rather such people were called "disabled" or
"impaired" or something accurate. There's a degree of wishful
thinking in slurring from "that term is ugly and hurts" to magical
thinking along the lines of "If we call Suzie a `developing genius,'
maybe she'll stop sitting in the corner sucking her thumbs and
crapping on the floor."

Another component is explicit denial of what appears to be the case:
maybe you can lose your job and get beaten up for asserting that the
reason black people as a group score on average 15 points lower on
alleged culture-fair IQ tests, is probably because a lot of them
can't think very well about the sorts of questions posed on IQ tests,
and furthermore IQ tests results correlate quite well with success in
an industrial nation, which is ne reason why... etc. Is it due to
PCness if you can't openly discuss findings that suggest Asian IQ
scores are somewhat to the right of 100, but have a more narrow
standard deviation than the normalized 15 or 16?  It goes right out
of control when you lose your job for using the word "niggardly," as
happened to a political aide with a broad vocabulary (although he got
his job back).

Nothing simple about any of this.

Damien Broderick