[ExI] Food for thought

hkhenson hkhenson at rogers.com
Wed Sep 10 17:09:59 UTC 2008

At 10:42 PM 9/9/2008, John Grigg wrote:

snip

>Regarding religion, I would think non-violent proselytizing is a
>much more enlightened form of the old "two tribes battling it out
>with swords and bows."  Meme wars that don't end in human bloodshed!

Some 60 million people who died in the context of WWII would probably
disagree with you if they were not dead.  They would lay a lot of
blame on Nazi memes, communist memes and various memes held by the
opposing parties.  Communism in particular had fairly long non
violent proselytizing phase.   But while memes are an element of the
causal path to wars, they are not the ultimate reason for bloodshed.

The ultimate reason is human populations that get too large for the
resource base.

The theory states that populations with a growing income per capita
will not start a war.  (They can still be attacked of course.)

I have a particularly jaundiced view of religions.  Most of you know why.

Keith