[ExI] "PC"

Thu Sep 11 01:08:38 UTC 2008

"Stefano Vaj" <stefano.vaj at gmail.com> wrote,
> In fact, one would be hard-pressed to find anybody declaring himself
> against "freedom", even though, say, in absolutism monarchies this
> used to mean just "freedom from foreign dominations" (as in "Jeanne
> d'Arc freed the Kingdom from the Englishmen").

I think everybody wants "freedom".  It's just that different people have
different interpretations of what they need to be free from.  A libertatian
blames all ills on the government, and therefore wants the freedom of
anarchy.  A person tired of spam and scammers wants freedom from criminals
and wants the government to "do something".  A communist wants freedom from
corporations making everybody a wage slave.  While a free-marketeer wants
freedom to be in charge of their own business all by themselves.  Some
people want the freedom to experiment with drugs, while others want the
freedom to walk down a city street without drug-crazed persons mugging them.
Gun lovers want the freedom to carry protection, while gun haters want the
freedom to walk down the street unafraid of armed robbery.  A gay person
wants the freedom to form any relationships, while a fundamentalist wants
the freedom to live in a country "free" of gays.  Everybody wants freedom,
but only for their own desires, and only using the methods they think will
bring about their freedom.

--
Harvey Newstrom <www.HarveyNewstrom.com>
CISSP CISA CISM CIFI GSEC IAM ISSAP ISSMP ISSPCS IBMCP