[ExI] Cool Physics

John K Clark jonkc at bellsouth.net
Sat Sep 13 06:02:35 UTC 2008

I was thinking about what the Large Hadron Collider could potentially
find, and what could ignite the public imagination. That last point is
important if you expect taxpayers to pay for future machines, and I
don't think the average person would say these sort of devices have
discovered anything very cool since 1957 when they found out the
difference between left and right. I don't think even physicists
would say finding the Higgs particle would be very cool, not finding
it would be cooler than that. Finding out what Dark Matter is, now
that would be cool by any standard, and Dark Energy would be
even better. Of course it may discover something wonderful that
nobody today can even imagine, but I can imagine making a mini
Black Hole and that would be very cool indeed because it would
demonstrate the existence of other dimensions; but I think it
would also mean there would be no point in making a more
powerful machine, you'd just get more Black Holes.

Finding extra dimensions would give a big boost to the many
would theory, all those other universes have to go somewhere,
and I can't think of a better place to put them.

It's interesting that if the SSC hadn't been canceled when it
was about 20% complete it would have been about two and a
half times as powerful as the Large Hadron Collider and would
have gone online 7 or 8 years ago. However it was decided in
the early 90's that we could only afford one really big science
project; we could have the Superconducting Super Collider (SSC)
or the Fucking International Fucking Space Fucking Station (FIFSFS)
but not both.

It was decided to go with FIFSFS.

 John K Clark