[ExI] Security 2001 (was Re: [wta-talk] Christian Transhumanist Declaration)

Sat Sep 13 16:51:25 UTC 2008

John Grigg wrote,
> Harvey is an awesome guy.  I will never forget how he scared the
> daylights out of the Extro 5 conference crowd by sharing in his talk
> just how vulnerable their computers really were to hacking!  LOL

Yeah, that was fun.

You know, I got a lot of condemnation for that speech.  Some thought it was
good and accurate.  But most people thought I was outrageously overhyping
the issues as a scare tactic for my career.  Believe it or not, most people
simply did not believe that corporations were profiling and tracking
customers, that governments had routine domestic spying programs, or that
hacking would turn into big business with advertising and information
brokering.  This all seems obvious to us to day, and did to security
professionals back then, but the general public as still mostly oblivious.

Here were my concluding "future predictions" from that speech in 2001:

- Privacy will become as big a concern as Security, maybe bigger
- While companies hide security incidents, individuals will not hide privacy
concerns
- After SpyWare and Anti-SpyWare, look for Anti-Anti-SpyWare
- Corporations will start using viruses to spread more SpyWare without
permission
- Governments will start using viruses as well
- Software will be designed to break if SpyWare features are disrupted or
regular reports are not received
- Companies and Government will increase surveillance and hide surveillance
where it is deemed illegal
- Beyond spying without permission, companies will start taking actions or
making contracts "for" the customer without permission
- Company databases of customer information will become preferred targets of
hackers rather than the individuals themselves
- Companies will escalate industrial espionage programs to steal customer
data from each other
- Individuals will resort to data poisoning and sabotage if they cannot get
their information removed from corporate databases
- Companies will increase legal actions against security consultants who
report these events
- Expect more deception, more conflict, and all-out war . . .

--
Harvey Newstrom <www.HarveyNewstrom.com>
CISSP CISA CISM CIFI GSEC IAM ISSAP ISSMP ISSPCS IBMCP