[ExI] a great movie for Transhumanist grownups and kids...

John Grigg possiblepaths2050 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 15 01:15:36 UTC 2008

I just saw "Meet the Robinsons" and was totally charmed by this very
inspirational and pro-technology film.  A fun and very smart CGI production
by Disney (based on the book by William Joyce), it tells the story of Lewis,
an orphan who has a brilliant scientific mind and is driven to invent,
despite many failures and obstacles.  He gets mixed up with time travelers
and has to prevent a horrible timeline from taking hold.

When he is in the "future" the name of the city is "Todayland", which I
thought was pretty funny (as compared to Disney's "Tomorrowland").  The
metropolis was obviously based on retro visions of the future and I loved
the scene where a skyscraper is "erected" in the blink of an eye with some
unknown technology so that it almost appears to have been inflated like a
balloon.  But I'm not sure which one was scarier, the pneumatic public
transport tubes in Futurama or the people moving bubbles in Meet the
Robinsons! lol

What I loved most about the film was how much heart it had.  Lewis is
desperate to find a loving family to adopt him and finds that the couples
looking for kids don't appreciate his (sometimes explosive!) inventing
talent.  But by the end of the film he has gained hope and vision for his
future and has learned the motto "keep moving forward!"  Lewis knows at that
point that his scientific ability can push forward technological progress
and over time make a vastly better world.  This movie is ideal to share with
kids *and* adults because it has such an overwhelmingly positive message
about making the right choices in life (showcasing a villain who excels at
blaming others for all his problems and even admits to this) and the
importance of science education, invention and technological progress.  It
is great Transhumanist family fare.  : )

Buy several copies for upcoming Christmas gifts!

John