[ExI] QT and SR

Stathis Papaioannou stathisp at gmail.com
Mon Sep 15 12:24:48 UTC 2008

2008/9/15 The Avantguardian <avantguardian2020 at yahoo.com>:

> Another issue I have with MWI is computional complexity. First off, an infinite universe, immediately rules out any simulation-type theories. Turing machines are defined to have a finite number of states. I hope you realize that an infinite universe cannot have a finite number of states. Therefore an infinite universe can neither be a turing machine nor be simulated on one.

A Turing machine has an infinite amount of memory. If it also had an
infinite amount of time available to it, it could model an infinite
universe or multiverse. Real computers are finite state machines, not
Turing machines.

> That being said, assuming that the universe is finite, MWI grows in computational complexity exponentially versus Copenhagen's which remains steady or perhaps increases linearly due to entropy. I think MWI running on a computer would run out of memory long before Copengahen.

Yes, the multiverse is extravagant. But that in itself is no argument
against the multiverse, any more than the concept of unimaginable
vastness is an argument against the universe being very big.

--
Stathis Papaioannou