[ExI] Varying constants and the origin of life

Techno neptune at superlink.net
Thu Sep 18 23:49:38 UTC 2008

Don't know if anyone has raised the topic before, but I was reviewing some
of the arguments for changes in the fine structure constant over
cosmological time scales.  I believe the alleged change is somewhere about 1
part in 1 million over 12 billion years.  Would this have any implications
for the origin of life?  In other words, would changes in this "constant"
make it harder to originate life?

That life continues seems to be an argument against this, but maybe the
continuance of life is much easier to maintain under the current value of
the constant and genesis itself is harder if not impossible.

Any thoughts?

Regards,

Dan