[ExI] What Makes People Vote Republican

spike spike66 at att.net
Fri Sep 19 03:07:19 UTC 2008

> > ...These people are not libertarians they are just poseurs... Fred

I see this as yet another problem we libertarians have.  We cannot even
agree among ourselves how to define ourselves.  We end up a motley
collection of a lot of odds and ends with no party cohesiveness.

> True. But I think more common are the people who have
> libertarian values, but vote republican or democrat based on
> the hot-plate issues at the moment...Kevin Freels

Roger that.  Consider this election year. They try to convince us that if we
vote for this ticket then we are racists, or if we vote for that ticket we
are sexists, and if we vote for neither we are both.  But everyone can see,
even non-yanks, that the major parties have put forth the weakest candidates
in memory.  This should be obvious regardless of which party one favors:
both Palin and Obama are lightweights.  No, scratch that, they would need a
lot more experience to be lightweights.  They are both featherweights.
Lionel Hutz vs Marge Simpson.

Yet I talk to plenty of informed people who have never even heard of Barr or
Root, which are themselves pretty flimsy examples of libertarians.  I'm not
even sure Barr is a libertarian at all.  But there I go again.  Seems like
the third parties should make a great showing this year but they are making
a poorer showing than the last two times, when we couldn't even distinguish
the two major party candidates from each other.

Oy.