[ExI] Open Learning?

Bryan Bishop kanzure at gmail.com
Fri Sep 19 07:19:36 UTC 2008

On Friday 19 September 2008, Emlyn wrote:
> Is anyone well versed on open learning tools / communities online?

Me, me, pick me! :) I haven't been paying attention these past few
months though.

> I've been thinking of doing a deal more study recently, for interest
> / self-improvement rather than quals. There are some good materials
> out there these days from universities, notably

I have a few thousand links on many topics in many introductory college
courses because of my scowering of the web too .. but not so much the
structure that you're looking for.

> However, a bit more of the structure of uni would be nice;
> particularly a cohort of people doing the same course, so some
> supportive culture could build up around it. I don't think I would
> really care about having a formal "lecturer" for a "course", but
> someone in a light-on tutor role might be nice. Or maybe the group of
> participants could just help each other out, and dispense with that?
>
> Does anyone know of anything like that happening online anywhere?

I try to hold weekly "Wikipeding" meetings on freenode with others. What
we do is we go through a subset of Wikipedia as quickly / completely as
possible, but it's just as easily applicable to streaming video
annotations and so on. I haven't seen other groups doing this quite
yet .. but I'm sure they are out there somewhere.

- Bryan