[ExI] Yet another health care debate

Lee Corbin lcorbin at rawbw.com
Sun Sep 21 05:07:30 UTC 2008

Fred writes

> It appears that periodically a health care debate arises on this list.
> And I am always amazed as normally rational people seem to
> take leave of their more advanced analytical tools.  Before wasting
> time and bandwidth how about performing some basic analysis.

That sounds like sound advice.

> For each health care system under consideration please do the following:

Now one thing that simply amazes me is the tremendous interest
evinced on this list by non-U.S. citizens that the U.S. should
adopt socialized medicine for the U.S., i.e., provide health benefits
without charge.

(Quite on the other hand, it's very EASY to understand why non-U.S.
citizens would be keenly interested in the financial laws and policies
of the United States, since there are necessarily so many international
repercussions to the economic success of the U.S.   But why such an
avid interest in U.S. health care, I can't help but wonder?)

Whether it's from Canada, New Zealand, Great Britain, or Australia,
the posters on this list from those countries never miss an opportunity
to suggest that for the Americans, only the government solution makes
sense.

It's odd, because I would suppose that a sort of world-wide "diversity",
i.e., socialized in their own countries, private in the U.S.,  would provide
them the best of both worlds: the private system would have different
incentives to create health solutions (new research, etc.), while their
own countries could continue picking up most of the tab for their own
citizens. And by the same token, those citizens would still be free to
"go next door", as a significant number of Canadians often do, to see
what the "other system" has available or is providing.

Your six points below seem exemplary to me.

Lee