[ExI] Yet another health care debate

spike spike66 at att.net
Sun Sep 21 05:40:15 UTC 2008

> Subject: Re: [ExI] Yet another health care debate
>
> Fred writes
>
> > It appears that periodically a health care debate arises on
> this list...

> Now one thing that simply amazes me is the tremendous
> interest evinced on this list by non-U.S. citizens that the
> U.S. should adopt socialized medicine for the U.S., i.e.,
> provide health benefits without charge... Lee

Lee I will offer my admittedly cynical notion: the US would be an attractive
destination to live and do business, if and only if an immigrant could get
health care from the US government.  Otherwise, best to stay home.  The tax
structure, climate, business environment, the other stuff is good in the US,
but they will not take care of you if you get sick, won't even bury you if
you die.  Unfettered capitalism is a double edged sword.

That being said, I hafta wonder if our politicians realize there are
*plenty* of yanks who work 9-to-5s mostly for the employer-provided health
insurance.  If we could get the government to take on our health care
expenses, there are tidal wave of us who would retire tomorrow with
sufficient savings and assets to cover all the other expenses.  Can the
system handle that cost?  I think it cannot.