[ExI] Evolution "for the Good of the Group"

Lee Corbin lcorbin at rawbw.com
Sun Sep 21 07:06:02 UTC 2008

Spike asked Keith

At 03:58 PM 9/19/2008, spike wrote:
> [Keith wrote]
>
> > During most of the human EEA, "group" and "relative" overlapped.  The
> > tribe was the group and the tribe (or even smaller bands) were mostly
> > relatives.  Now taking risk and even dying for a group of relatives is
> > sound gene selection of the Hamilton/inclusive fitness variety.  The
> > fact that these mechanisms can be fooled in modern times when we no
> > longer live with tribal relatives is not a surprise.
> >
> > But it is discouraging to see people who should know better taking this stand.
>
> Hi Keith, please clarify.  What stand is discouraging?...

I thought Keith was really saying "it is discouraging to see people
who should know better [than to be fooled into behaving as if
we were still living with tribal relatives]".  In other words, Keith
was bemoaning that we still have tribal instincts. Isn't that right,
Keith?

Well, to me, that's about as informative as saying, "It's a shame
that we still have the emotion hatred", or "It's a shame that
we spend a huge part of our lives literally asleep".

Well, that's just the way it *is*.

Moreover, *your* group is on the line: if you and people like
you don't cooperate with your group, then it will become extinct.
(Pace singularity, of course.)

Lee