[ExI] Yet another health care debate

Lee Corbin lcorbin at rawbw.com
Sun Sep 21 07:16:13 UTC 2008

Hey Spike, did you get a load of what the "other Damien" wrote? (i.e. not
the Cal-Tech one)  Sez he:

    >>Whether it's from Canada, New Zealand, Great Britain, or Australia,
    >>the posters on this list from those countries never miss an opportunity
    >>to suggest that for the Americans, only the government solution makes
    >>sense.
    >
    > Exactly! It's infuriating! Just like those danged evolutionists,
    > always shoving in with their fool opinions. Why can't they just let
    > folks alone? We *like* paying through the nose and being bankrupted
    > from huge bills if we have a medical emergency and the company shuts
    > us out--and who can blame them? They have to make a profit! What's
    > that? You say you're *not* claiming that *only* a national scheme
    > makes sense, just that it's cheaper and fairer and easier to
    > administer? Well, shut up! Those don't work!  No, not those
    > either.  Or those!  Look, they just don't work, okay?  They may work
    > in practice but they don't work in theory!
    >
    > [Still the Other Damien]

I read it through twice, but this-here Damien (the very erudite one
with many books to his credit, or to his notoriety, or whatever),
isn't making any sense to me. I discern that the problem *may* be
that perhaps at least *two* levels of irony are piled on top of some
sarcasm, and I can't unravel it. Can you help?

Thanks,
Lee